November 26th, 2011 Montreal
Final update. La Tempesta was sold to its new owner in late May 2011 and is currently in his queue of cars awaiting restoration. It left the concrete bunker 29. May and the day after that I packed up all my tools (and sold most of them) and left the garage. My old space is now used to strip a Lancia Delta HF for resto. The license plates were handed over to the authorities prior to selling it, so JD46171 is now officially off the records.
Thanks for following the blog and my attempts to document every possible little thing I did to the car. All the posts, pictures and documents will stay up on the internet for posterity, but there will be no new posts.
May 6th, 2011 Montreal
Well, I guess this is how it ends. Because of circumstances beyond my control, La Tempesta is for sale as it sits right now. This is the message I posted to the Alfa Montreal mailing list a couple of days ago:
My red half-finished Montreal no 1428144 is now for sale. Those who have followed my restoration blog for the past 5+ years will know that it is in the middle of a slow moving restoration. It is therefore technically half parts car and half promising project, but the definition is of course up to you.
Everything in the suspension is renewed and have barely touched the road; Bilstein shocks, Classic Alfa handling kit, all new bushes (mix of HD rubber and polyurethane). New-ish Vredestein Sprint Classic 205/70-14 tyres from 2007. Tie rods are also new. Front brakes have the DBA discs with new pads. Brake hoses are new all around. Hand brake cable is new. The exhaust needs replacement badly.
Engine has 97.000 kms on it and probably needs a re-seal, but the actual condition is unknown to me. The resto never got that far.
Body wise the car is incomplete as far as external trim is concerned. Rust repairs have started on the passenger side (sills and B-pillar) and is about halfway done. The driver’s side is largely untouched. New inner sills have been fabricated, and the rest of the (Häckner repro) sills/rocker panels comes with the car. I do not have the quarter panels.
There is rust in the front anti roll bar attachment points as usual, plus the front mud guards need some minor rust repairs. Otherwise the car is sound.
The seats are currently away for restoration at an upholsterer, but we can probably work out the details on that particular matter. The rest of the interior has been removed, including all the carpets and 95% of the sound deadening. I have the old, red carpets.
I am the third owner since 1975. The car and the work I’ve done on it is extensively documented on my blog at http://montreal.break-left.org, but if you have additional questions, please get in touch with me off the list: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +47 480 62 642. I speak fluent English and to some extent German. Swedish and Danish is of course no problem. A small cache of parts is included in the sale. Please see Parts Shelf on the blog.
I am looking to sell it in one piece for around EUR 12,000, excluding any transportation cost.
There you have it. I’ve had some enquiries already, but they apparently hadn’t progressed beyond the hemming and hawing stage. It’s still for sale as of Friday 6th May.
February 16th, 2011 Facilities, Interiors
A couple of items of good news in the freezing cold and relentless snowfall; the seats are to be redone by a guy who is an actual car upholsterer. Yes, a trained professional car upholsterer, although he’s a teacher by day. I am more than happy to let him do the job since my own two hands apparently have other purposes in life than doing work like this, and I have also in practice given him an “it’s-finished-when-it’s-finished” sort of deadline. He only wanted to do it in his spare time since they are Montreal seats (i.e rare). Now I only need to find three hours of spare time to transport them to him (and set aside some serious money) 😉
The other good news is that Erlend have (finally!) gone and equipped oour bunker-like concrete garage with a 29kW propane heater. We have discussed the issue of condensation when it’s -10°C outside, but we decided to give Øystein’s de-humidifier a run for its money to compensate. We’ll see. There’s little point in hiding the cars away from the salt if they’re going to rust even faster.
You want a picture with that? Sorry, you can’t have one 😉
January 31st, 2011 Bodywork, Interiors, Tools
Progress is slow these days since the garage temperature is well below zero. The interior plastics are a little too brittle to handle, and the working conditions is thoroughly demotivating. I’m putting a couple of hours now and then however, so the sound deadening removal is almost complete. That is, on the floors proper and everywhere else the sheet metal’s going to be cut.
The scraper blade on the Fein Multimaster is more or less used up, but the other day I went by Biltema and picked up their cheap-ish version of this splendid multitool. It runs on a small battery which provides about 30 minutes of scraping. The upside is that there’s no power cable in the way, plus the tool is much smaller and lighter than the more professional Fein.
There is evidence of previous rust repairs on the driver’s side too. The jack point have definitely been replaced at one point, and the handyman have left a rather ugly weld seam on the inside floor which have long since developed rust. It’s going out anyway, so no worries there. La Tempesta is going back to Myhr Industrial in early March to have the rust repairs completed. Provided the pile of rust money lasts long enough, that is.
I’m also going to bring home the various interior pieces and attempt to give them a thorough wash with the missus’ steam cleaner. I’m starting with the cabin vent covers. We’ll see how it goes. This year’s goal is to make everything between the A- and B-pillars rust free, nothing more. If there’s any money left after that, I’m having one of the seats re-stuffed and beautified.