Archive for the 'Parts' Category

July update

Thursday, August 5th, 2010

Time for a little monthly update again, this time with all the things that have almost happened in July. The rust repairs have been underway for quite some time, but since Norway more or less shuts down in July, things happen very very slowly.

(more…)

Parting with lots of money

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

The body repair man called after the initial inspection was done and asked for money up front and … well … replacement rocker panels. All six of them. The outer rocker panel cover was in pretty good condition and could be repaired instead of replaced. I’ve been looking at the usual suppliers and asked on the ever so knowledgeable Montreal mailing list, and I found rockers two, maybe three, places: Bertelsbeck Automotive (€885 for all six) and Häckner (€975 for all six). The third supplier is Jimmy Cornet from Montreal since he reportedly had some repros made a few years ago, but I couldn’t reach him by email.

Contrary to what you might believe, I ordered the six parts (TAV. 118, parts 9, 10 and 11) from Häckner despite their higher price. My garage neighbour weren’t too pleased with some parts he bought for his Series 1 1750 GTV from them, and I’ve received the wrong part from Bertelsbeck before. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Häckner.

Hannelore and Dirk Nehme bought their rockers from a place called Rist + Schäfer in the 90’s, but I failed to find them in any of the German yellow pages.

In addition to the rocker panels order I paid some money up front to the body man. So, over the course of half an hour, I dispensed of over half my bodywork budget and the car have yet to be touched with anything resembling an angle grinder 😉 The body man is currently on a three week vacation and is back around July 12th. With a little bit of luck It’ll be ready some time in August.

UPDATE June 25: Häckner actually billed me €899 including shipping for the rocker panels. Considering the shipping cost is a whopping €80 from Germany, they took a fair bit off compared to the advertised price. Cheaper when exporting perhaps? In any case, I’ll have to pay customs fees and VAT when the parts arrive … which will make them way more than the original €975 anyway.

UPDATE July 2: the customs and VAT bill arrived yesterday: €382. That means the total sum for the six rocker panels is a slightly off-putting  €1281. The VAT is of course happening because Norway isn’t an EU member, but to make amends there are apparently no customs fee for car parts like these. The rocker panels have yet to arrive physically.

Here’s a picture of the panels I bought:

Alfa Romeo Montreal rocker panels (outer panel not shown)

Front anti roll bar mounted

Saturday, May 8th, 2010

IMG_6476The final suspension piece, the front anti-roll bar (ARB), was mounted a couple of days ago, ending a long sub-project of renewing the suspension and to a certain extent the driveline. The suspension is now officially done! The 29 mm polyurethane bushings arrived in the mailbox Wednesday, and later in the evening I was on the garage floor to fit it. Even though the bushings are split and clips around the bar without problems,  there was a very large amount of more or less useless fitting grease in the bag. Another artifact for the treasure chest then.

(more…)

The 2010 garage season is on!

Monday, March 8th, 2010

The garage had a comfortable -1° C this afternoon, so I suited up with a couple of layers of warm clothes and off I went! One thing that’s been bugging me for a while was the last of the tie rod ends which was stuck in the pitman arm. I have already broken one splitter trying to get it off, and I wasn’t eager to ruin another one. I decided to put the garage temperature to some good use and heated the pitman arm thoroughly with the blowtorch, applied the splitter and waited. After about 30 seconds it came unstuck with a loud bang and a satisfying clank as the tie rod end hit the garage floor.

After that I inspected the various parts that Classic Alfa sent me just before winter solstice. The special bolts which connects the front anti roll bar to the spring pans had some transport damage, but a few minutes with a thread file took care of that. For the record: all the tie rod ends are the same as on contemporary Alfa Romeo 105-series. I bought FRAP instead of the original Lemförder. They cost much less, plus the Lemförder tie rod ends are becoming somewhat hard to find.

An hour and a half in the garage was apparently plenty of time since the nose started running and my fingers became numb, but the 2010 garage season have officially started!

dec2009_parts_classicalfatie_rod_end_splittertie_rod_ends